Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Learning Theories ~ Cognitive-Constructivism

Jean Piaget

Cognitive-constructivism theory ’emphasises the role of cognition, meaning assimilating and accommodating new information into existing schemes in an attempt to construct an understanding of the world in which we live and the rules by which it is governed’ (Snowman, Dobozy, Scevak, Bryer, Bartleft, & Biehler, 2009, p. 340) . Cognitive-constructivism’s most recognised theorist is Jean Piaget, who’s ‘main focus of constructivism has to do with the individual and how the individual constructs knowledge’ (Powell & Kalina, 2009). This theory is associated with the stages a child goes through based on their age. ‘Piaget describes what children of various ages will do’ (Clark, 1995, p. 79) these stages are sensori-motor (0-2), preoperational (2-7), operational (7-11) and formal operations (11+) which can also be known as ‘concrete operational’. As an adult I fall within the formal operational situation meaning that I meant to be able to manipulate abstract situations. The four ways in which Piaget’s work can be described is the relation between his theory and education; discovery learning, age appropriateness, individual appropriateness and developmentally appropriate practice.
Piaget's Stages of Intellectual Development

As a learner I find that cognitive-constructivism does not easily accommodate me as a learner. This is because I do not feel that I am unable to process all abstract situations to a high level of difficulty which would mean that I am below the Formal Operational stage which is associated with my age. The cognitive-constructivism theory would have limited my ability to learn and gain knowledge to my full potential because this theory cannot accommodate learners outside the specific age ranges. As a learner this would have made a significant disadvantage to me growing up as I like to be challenged and this theory does not challenge learners. Cognitive-Constructivism is not flexible enough for me as a learner.

No comments:

Post a Comment